Tuesday 8 September 2009

3088 Pte Selim Bernstein, 1st County of London Yeomanry


3088 Pte Selim Bernstein of the 1st County of London Yeomanry, died of wounds on the 8th September 1915; 94 years ago today. There are no service records surviving for this man but his medal index card (MIC) gives us a little information about him. The number 3088 dates to before the First World War. 

My data is a little thin for pre-1914 County of London Yeomanry but I can say with certainty that he enlisted between January 1912 and March 1913, and probably mid to late 1912. His MIC states that he arrived in Egypt on the 28th April 1915 and also indicates that he died of wounds. This information is also carried on the Soldiers Died in The Great War database which notes that Selim was born in London, living in Bow, east London, and enlisted at Chelsea. The Commonwealth War Graves Commission database notes that he was the son of the late Alexander and Jane Bernstein and that he is buried in Green Hill Cemetery, Turkey. Selim is commemorated on a special memorial (reference A.24) and The War Graves Photographic Project holds a photograph of this

Selim was Jewish and his memorial has the Star of David engraved upon it. There is a birth record for a Selim Solomon Bernstein in London for the September quarter of 1894 and this is possibly him. His medal index card notes that his 1914-15 Star is to be impressed "S Bernstein" whilst his British War and Victory Medals are to be impressed simply as "Bernstein". 

At the going down of the sun, and in the morning, WE WILL REMEMBER THEM.


UPDATE - 18th December 2020

Corinne Van Colle has contacted me as follows and apropos comments on this blog post writes:

"I am a volunteer for Willesden Jewish Cemetery's House of Life Project and have been researching soldiers killed - or died from wounds received - in action who are commemorated at this Cemetery. You can see from the attached photograph that I have found a token in Selim's name which is placed on his paternal grandmother's tomb. His parents Alexander and Jane are also buried in Willesden Jewish Cemetery. I had previously read that Selim's mother had put together an album after his death, so I was very excited when I read the blogs, especially from Toby Stone. I am guessing that Toby and Rebecca's paternal grandparents were Lord (Joseph) and Lady (Beryl) Stone of Hendon. Jane was one of Selim's sisters and she and her husband are also buried in Willesden Cemetery.

"It would be greatly appreciated if you could, please, put me in touch with Toby Stone as it would be of huge interest to see the album."

So Toby, if you are reading this, please drop me a line: paulcanixon@gmail.com and I will connect the two of you.


6 comments:

Unknown said...

Selim Bernstein was my great-uncle, and I am very moved to find this commemoration of him on your website - thank you. He was the beloved eldest son of Jane and Alexander, and there is a beautiful photo album they put together after his death to remember his short life. They also travelled to Egypt to visit his grave. He died saving a fellow soldier.
With very best wishes on this sad Day of Remembrance,
Rebecca Sharkey

Paul Nixon said...

Thank you Rebecca, and RIP Selim Bernstein.

Toby Stone said...

Paul, would you like us to send more info on Selim? If so would you be able to update the entry here? I love the idea that people's memories are kept alive in this way. I'm Rebecca's brother and have a massive album Selim's mother mad in his memory... lovely photos, letters, etc.

Paul Nixon said...

Yes please, Toby; that would be great and I'll be happy to update here. It's been a good week for making contact with descendants of men I've researched and I'm always pleased to keep their memories alive in a small way on my various blogs. Please contact me here: paulcanixon@yahoo.co.uk - and thanks!

Paul

CVC.WJC said...

Toby: I am a volunteer at Willesden Jewish Cemetery where Selim, his parents, paternal grandmother and other family members (your grandparents?) are buried.
I am currently in the throes of compiling a spreadsheet recording soldiers killed in action/died from wounds in WW1 who are commemorated at Willesden Jewish Cemetery. A programme of cemetery tours, a webinar, etc are to be produced in early 2021 and I would like to feature Selim amongst others.
It would be a huge privilege, therefore, to be able to view Jane's album. Can this be arranged please?

Paul Nixon said...

Post updated today.

Naval & Military Press